Many travellers wish to set out on a vacation in May, and especially families as the children finally have their summer break at school. May is the hottest month of the year and everyone is in search for that one place that can provide solace in the prickling sun. Kerala is that destination that makes for the ultimate travel destination in May. It is that one blessed state that provides ultimate calm and serenity to its visitors.
In the scorching heat of May, the backwaters, the dense wildlife sanctuaries, lush tea gardens, soothing Ayurvedic resorts and roaring waterfalls help you experience pure bliss. Many of its cities and hill stations enjoy a cool and pleasant climate throughout the year and you can freely enjoy the summer holidays in Kerala with your beloved, friends and family.
We at Kerala Holidays bring to you a well-researched curated list of places in Kerala to visit in summer to skip the heat and enjoy nature in its truest form.
Know the 10 places to visit in Kerala during May
Head to the hills in the summer for Munnar is the best destination for chilled out vacation in May. Its misty valleys and the low-flying clouds keeps the atmosphere out of warm winds. The old world colonial vibes further add to the place’s beauty.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Munnar: Pothemadu, Eravikulam National Park, Anamudi, Mattupetty Dam, Devikulam, Nyayamakad, Attukal Waterfalls, Muniyara Dolmens, Photo Point and Echo Point
Relax in the rejuvenating ambience of the emerald backwaters in Alleppey. Book yourself a houseboat and sail on the cool and serene waters, all while sipping on fresh coconut water. The houseboat is equipped with air-conditioned rooms and personal chef on board for the best summer holiday experience.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Alleppey: Punnamada Lake, Pathiramanal, Marari Beach, Alappuzha Beach, Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, Krishnapuram Palace, Revi Karunakaran Museum, Snake boat race, and Sri Krishna Temple
One among the top places to visit in Kerala in summer, Kumarakom is where you can explore the untamed side of the state with all its exotic flora and fauna. It is an amazing place for trekking as well because the nature trails will help you relish the scenic galore of this place.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Kumarakom: Vembanad Lake Kumarakom Backwaters, Thirunakkara Mahadeva Temple, Valiyapally, Kumarakom Beach Bay Island Driftwood Museum, Cheriyapally, Aruvikkuzhi waterfall, Pathiramal Island, Juma Masjid and Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
Wayanad is a flourishing forested region that rests on an elevated altitude area. That is why, cold winds blow even in hot May and you can enjoy full heartedly. It is also clean and delightful and there is so much to see and do owing to the fact that is a culturally rich town.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Wayanad: Thirunelli Temple, Lakkidi View Point, Banasura Hill P Kuruvadweep, Puliyarmala Jain Temple, Papanashini River, Kabini, Padinjarathara Dam and Thusharagiri Waterfalls
Thekkady is a pleasing bliss on earth for those who adore nature in its wild manifestations. Being a hill station, it enjoys a cool and pleasant climate even in summers and hence is a must visit place in May in Kerala.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Thekkady: Kadathanadan Kalari Centre , Vandanmedu, Periyar Lake, Elephant Junction, Ayurvedic Garden, Ramakkalmedu, Kumily , Mullaperiyar Dam, Mudra Cultural Centre, Periyar Tiger Trail, Vandiperiyar, Murikkady, Deepa World Spice and Chellarkovil
This green glory is nestled among the mountains. It is a town with a rich ancestral ethnicity and is the perfect summer getaway destination in 2019. The breathtakingly beautiful town is a haven of peace and tranquillity and the mountains keep the heat waves at par, letting you enjoy the weather at its best.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Kovalam: Lighthouse Beach, Kovalam Jama Masjid, Akkulam Lake, Samudra Beach, Hawah Beach, The Lighthouse, Thiruvallam Parasurama Temple, Halcyon Castle, Vizhinjam Fishing Harbor, Karamana River, Vellayani Lake, Aruvikkara, Valiathura Pier, Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium, and Rock Cut Caves
Kozhikode is the idyllic tourist destination for summers in God's own country. Famous for its historical sites, culture and architecture, you can peacefully unwind here in its pleasant and calming surroundings.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Kozhikode: Mananchira, Hilite Mall, Conolly Canal, Kallayi, Tali Temple, Kozhikode Beach, Kappad Beach, Thusharagiri Waterfalls, Sargaalaya, Kozhippara Falls, Payyoli Beach and Matri Dei Cathedral
The gushing waterfalls and majestic beauty makes this hill station of Kannur a must visit place in India in May 2019. The views of this unspoiled natural land is a sight for sore eyes. Its pleasant weather makes it a haven for nature lovers.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Kannur: Ezhimala Beach, Tellicherry Fort, Rajarajeshwara Temple and Fort St. Angelos
Situated at the foot of enormous western ghats, Palakkad is one of the most fertile and coolest place in India for holidays in May. Its many natural hotspots make this place such an absolute delight for the mind, body and soul.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Palakkad: Silent Valley National Park, Jain Temples, Palakkad Fort, Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, Malampuzha Garden and Seethargundu viewpoint
Although small in size, this town has captivating beauty that makes it amongst the best places to visit in Kerala in summer. Fresh green grass carpets the ground keeping the land nice and cool. For the adventurous souls, hiking or trekking can be undertaken here.
• The most popular tourist destinations in Malappuram: Kottakkunnu, Nilambur Teak Museum and Thirumandhamkunnu Bhagavathy Temple
To find destinations for holiday in May can be challenging as the summer heat in India is exhausting and puts a damper on any kind of excursions. However, now with this list, you can go all out and make the best of your summer holidays in Kerala without the very intrusion of seasonal change.
To make your trip even more worthwhile, get in touch with our team of expert travel agents who will tailor-make an entire itinerary comprising of best tourist spots in Kerala to visit in May. We pride ourselves over being the best tour operators in Kerala and take care of complete package, right from ticket booking to accommodation and local transportation and stay. Get in touch with us now and let us take you on a summer trip to Kerala that you will cherish for a lifetime.